Sunday, January 22, 2012

Puppy Love & Spring Break & Sunday Funday!!

Sooo - I figured now was the best time to do my blogging. I don't know why but it seems way  more difficult during the week for me to sit down in front of this computer and do anything really...let alone post to my blog. I think that is mostly because of guilt - I feel bad being on here when my 2 year old would clearly rather play, when he naps (if I'm lucky) I'm afraid he can hear me typing away right outside of his room. When my big kids are at home, well...there is no time for "free time" for mommy. Between homework, dance on Mondays, allergy shots on the other side of town every 2 days, Basketball practice on Tuesdays (also the other side of town) - there just isn't enough hours in the day. But it's Sunday Funday - and to me that just means we have no plans. Nothing we have to do. Nothing we really want to do. Mr. Husband is watching football which gives me a guilt free reason to get on this computer. Besides, if I weren't doing this I would just be asleep on the couch. Or cleaning out my closet (ongoing process), or crafting...hmmmm....which reminds me..Anyways - this is a good time.

 So we have been looking at adding a new addition to our family for a few weeks now.  There is no particular dog we want. Well maybe a small one. No, definitely a small one. I have been looking on Craigslist and adoption websites. It amazes me how much the adoption agencies try to charge to adopt a dog. Actually it really upsets me. It's a ridiculous amount, an amount I feel like no one in their right mind would pay. ($250 for a mixed breed, young dog, not potty trained, still needing shots - what is that!) And if no one is going to pay then it's obvious what happens to these poor animals. I mean I can't really even go there but do I have to?   I hope that I'm just cheap and that the rest of the world isn't. But I'm also realistic. Realistic and cheap. And it makes me angry and there isn't much I can do about it.

So we get the big kids for Spring Break this year and I am so excited. I mean I always get excited when we get the kids for extended periods of time but I really want to do something this year. Something special. Something they will remember. I want to create a lasting memory. As a child I remember that my mom and dad took us camping a lot. We went to Whitney Lake, what seemed like almost every weekend. I loved camping. Oh and when I say camping I mean the pop up camper camping. Not the tent. Did that once, as an adult, that was a nightmare. A nightmare. Did I mention that my experience with that was a nightmare? Because it was. Anyways, one year my parents took us to Disney World but Disney World is such a small part of what I remember about that vacation. I remember the trip to Florida. I think it was a week or two week trip and we hooked up the pop up camper to the car and just drove. I remember camping on the beach and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. To fall asleep to the sound of the ocean or to look outside the tent and see crabs crawling around the sand. I loved that trip and Disney World was of course freaking awesome but honestly, it would not have been necessary to make that trip special. And that's what I have learned as a parent. Your kids care about time spent together and the quality of that time spent more than anything. Don't get me wrong, I would love nothing more than to be able to take our family to Disney World (the commercials alone make you want to hop on a plane and go) but I know that I don't have to. And that's a nice thing to know. Especially since I know their dad could and I gave up trying to keep up with their dad. Financially it's just impossible. But I do want to experience the beach with my kids just once, or cooking smores over a fire, or going on a bike ride that lasts forever. I want to do something they will talk about when they are older and when they do they say it is one of their most favorite vacations. So...any ideas???

Okay, well I'm going to do something with a small white frame, left over fabric and white buttons I think. Why not - it's Sunday Funday right?!?!



No comments:

Post a Comment